OPH Wrestling Senior Night

The wrestlers of the OPH Wildcats recently just played in their final home match. This match was held on Tuesday, January 9th at Oblong. Their opponent was Robinson.

The wrestlers had an amazing performance against the Robinson Maroons, but sadly, came up just shy from a win. The final score against the Maroons was a 40-39 loss for the Wildcats. This match is just one of the many close matches the OPH Wildcats saw this season. Each of the athletes should be very proud of their achievements.

Some others that should be especially proud of themselves this season are the seniors. With this match being the last home match of the season, that means it was also senior night. Jack Hawkins, Liam Wirey, and Ian Rosborough were recognized for their achievements this past season and all the seasons prior that they have participated in. One senior, Jack Hawkins, has a couple of thoughts this season.

As a senior, this was Jack’s first season of wrestling. When asked what made him decide to join the wrestling team this season he stated, “to stay in shape after the football season ended.” Jack expresses the joy wrestling brought to him and he wishes he had joined the sport sooner in high school. Jack says he encourages the underclassman to do wrestling or any other extra curricular activity they have been on the fence about joining. You only live once, am I right?

If you would like to support the wrestlers in their last match of the season, you can watch them on Saturday, January 13th at Cumberland.