Active Shooter Drill

Addi McNair
Justin Fuller hides behind a filing cabinet in Mrs. Bailey’s room during the recent Active Shooter Drill.

The Active Shooter Drill was announced by Mr. Will over the intercom at 10:15 a.m. on Wednesday, September 20.

During the first session Mr. Will was able to inform the students of the shooting.  He announced that a “shooter” was on the 3rd floor and headed south. The students had options on whether they should stay in their classroom and hunker down, or try to escape from the school and get to safety. If they stayed in the classroom they were supposed to lock the door, block the door, and hide out of the line of sight from the door. This session happened during the 3rd hour with a warning over the intercom.

The second session happened after the 3rd hour was over and happened without the students knowing when it would happen.  No intercom announcement was made for this drill. Instead, when the bell for the 3rd hour went off, the students left their classes and were heading to their next class when they heard the fake gunshot go off. Students were running through the halls and going into classrooms or out of the building, depending on where they found themselves when they heard the “gun” go off or saw the “shooter.”

The shooter of the Active Shooter Drill was Chief Besing. He used an air horn as the gun to give off a loud noise when he used it to simulate what it would sound like if shots were fired in the school. The Active Shooter drill ended at 10:40 a.m.

The Active Shooter drill is required by the state and is for the safety of the students.