‘Tis the season

Addi McNair

The day after Thanksgiving, which just happened to be Friday the 24th, was the beautiful lighting of Leaverton Park here in Palestine. This night every year is full of so much joy and laughter.

The night starts off around 5 p.m. with cookies and hot chocolate or hot cider in the big brick building in the middle of the park. Outside of that building there is a campfire with people all gathered around laughing amongst each other.  Then there was a bubble and foam machine for the kids to play in with one another. Cornhole was also set up outside. With all of this going on, christmas music was playing quite loudly in the background, which had people singing and dancing as a community! 

As all of this is taking place, there is a man named Cris Harris that drives around on his motorcycle dressed up as the grinch in a santa suit handing out candy canes to the kids that are just so amazed about “meeting the grinch”.  He decorates his motorcycle with Christmas lights and he pulls behind a wagon with a Christmas tree and presents all wrapped up in Christmas lights as well.

Starting at 7 pm was the annual firework show. This brings in multiple families from all over the county!  The firework show was amazing per usual. The fireworks are made possible by Palestine Development Assn., Lincoln Land Agri., Palestine Chamber of Commerce, 1st Robinson Savings Bank, Palestine Lions Club, and Leaverton Park. 

After the firework show Santa shows up to the brick building for all the little kids to get to sit on his lap.

This brings so much joy to our small town of Palestine and is a great kickstart to the holiday season!