Total Eclipse of the Harrison Street

We have been very lucky this year: on April 8, we had a total solar eclipse visible from our town. Crawford County’s population almost doubled, as this was the first eclipse visible in the US in 7 years. Before that, you have to go back almost 4 decades! An eclipse occurs purely by coincidence, as the sun is 400 times as far away from the earth compared to the moon, and is 400 times than the moon. Scientists predict that in a little over half a billion years solar eclipses will stop happening, as the moon will move just far enough away that this coincidental occurrence will quit being the case.

Although it doesn’t happenĀ every new moon, solar eclipses can only happen on new moons, just as lunar eclipses can only happen on full moons. A solar eclipse occurs when the moon and the sun perfectly line up during the day and during a new moon, while the opposite happens for a lunar eclipse; the sun and the moon must be on exactly opposite sides of the earth during the night of a full moon.

Solar and lunar eclipses follow a pattern known as a Saros cycle, meaning they recur 18 years, 11 days, and 8 hours. Ironically, the duration of the total eclipse is 4 minutes and 28 seconds-just 2 seconds shorter thanĀ Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler, which you likely heard all day at the festival.

This is the most viewed solar eclipse in history, due to multiple factors. Firstly, the amount of large cities within viewing range. Secondly, the media and highway coverage. Finally, the weather and timing made it perfect for travelers.