English IV trip

English IV trip

On February 21, the English IV class is taking an awesome trip to Chicago, Illinois to experience some of what they have been reading about in a book called Devil in the White City by Erik Larson.

The book details the creation of the 1893 World’s Fair in Chicago led by architect Daniel Burnham, along with the rise of America’s first established serial killer, H.H. Holmes. The class will be visiting the last remaining building from that 1893 World’s Fair, which now houses the Museum of Science and Industry.

In the winter many museums in Chicago off free museum days, and on February 21, the Museum of Science and Industry, the Field Museum, and the Shedd Aquarium all offer free admission to Illinois students.

All English IV students will board the train in Effingham at 4:57am (after leaving Palestine around 3:30am!) and will return to Effingham around 7:45pm if the train runs on schedule.  While in Chicago, they will be walking or taking the city’s Metra trains.

It will be a full, fun packed day. In addition to the Field Museum and the Shedd Aquarium, several students on the trip this year would like to visit the Art Institute. Unfortunately the group will not be able to visit the iconic “Bean” this year since it is currently under renovation.

In the past, some groups have eaten Chicago deep dish pizza, but Mrs. Hyde lets the group choose where they eat. Mrs. Hyde has been taking this trip with her students for the past eight years. Many of the students have not been to Chicago so this will be an awesome experience for them.

Going to Chicago during the winter is always a weather risk, but right now the forecast is calling for a warmer than usual day.  But whether the weather is warm or cold, the city is always such a wonderful place to visit.