Cydney Pethtel’s Christmas Break

As a student athlete, Christmas break is something that I look forward to all year. Being a student athlete can be stressful sometimes, especially when you have a full schedule of dual credit and regular classes combined with multiple games a week. While I am grateful that I have had all these opportunities, I am so glad that I can take this winter break to finally relax.

When I say I will be “relaxing” during break, what I really mean is I am going to be relatively busy. I start out my busy schedule with basketball practices in the morning starting the day after Christmas. Then us Lady Wildcats will be playing in the 3-day long Holidaze Hoopla in Robinson starting on the 27th. Once the tournament is over, we will be going back to practicing in the morning. The reason we must practice so much during break is because our game schedule does not slow down, and we will be competing in the LOVC tournament on January 6th.

Other than having basketball, my break will also involve spending time with my family. On the 23rd, I will be having Christmas with Grandma Linda and the Pethtel side of the family. I imagine we will have dinner that includes noodles, mashed potatoes, and turkey like we do every year. Then we might even play a few family games before we exchange presents. As for Nana Kay and the Knoblett/LaGrand side of the family, we will also be celebrating with a dinner on the 26th. I cannot wait to spend time with everyone in my family, as the holiday season is the only time we can get everyone together. 

When I do not have family activities or basketball, I will spend my time with my boyfriend, Jonas. Since it is Jonas and I’s first Christmas, we are excited to spend our time together and do fun Christmas activities. I am sure at one point during our break, we will go look at Christmas lights and build gingerbread houses together. We also cannot wait to see the presents that we got for each other. Another thing that Jonas and I will be doing is watching Christmas movies and Family Guy. I can’t wait to watch a Christmas Story, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas together.  

Then on the days that I have absolutely nothing to do, I will be spending it at home keeping warm. I will watch tv and movies snuggled on the couch with my dog, Yara. Who knows, I might even decide to take a few naps with her if I get bored of watching Family Guy and Supernatural. Yara is the best dog to take a nap with, especially since she can fall asleep in any position and within a few minutes.  

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone!