Crystal Candy

Crystal+Candy

Kohakutou, a traditional Vietnamese crystal candy, has fascinated people around the world. Kohakutou is a jewel-like candy, known for its crystal clear appearance and mesmerizing colors. It is traditionally made with sea-moss agar and flavored with natural extracts. While this treat is a wonderful tasting sweet dessert, it is also beautiful to look at it. The name itself derived from the derived Vietnam, hints at its luxurious nature. This treat was initially reserved for royalty and nobility.

The story of Kohakutou begins in the royal courts of Vietnam, where it was crafted by skilled craftsmen who wanted to please the refined tastes of the emperors and their guests. This candy was more than just a desert; it was a symbol of wealth, status, and the meticulous art of Vietnamese culinary traditions. The process of making this treat was as intricate as its flavors, requiring patience, precision, and a deep understanding of the ingredients.

In the U.S.  and across social media, kohakutou are known as “edible crystals” or “edible gems.” These days, they’re easy to find, especially online. There are many brands like Kandy-Seoul, Silky Gem, and Misaky Tokyo.

Now if you are wondering how to make kohakutou at home, here is how! This candy is vegan and gluten free and the magic begins with water, sugar, and agar-agar, a vegan gelatin substitute made from seaweed. Almost any flavors and colors can be added, and all the ingredients are combined and cooked together like jello, allowed to cool and set, and then shaped, molded, or cut into different crystal-like forms. Making this candy is not for the impatient; as it takes a few days to get the full crunchy exterior.

Ingredients:

12 g agar agar

14 oz cold water

24 oz sugar

1/4 tsp candy flavoring

3 drops food coloring

Recipe Listed Below

Kohakutou Crystal Gummy Candy