Drones In The Classroom

Today’s learning is hyper focused on “hand-on” STEAM learning which is a great thing! STEAM stands for (Science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics.) When the majority of academic ideas are told through print or lecture, it can be difficult for some students to focus on the lecture. Students are usually extremely excited about being able to actively participate in their learning experiences. Drones can be used in the classroom to let students get up and about, letting them operate in the real-world, troubleshoot, coordinate, and get instant feedback. ECU is hosting a zoom meeting to show you how drones can be used in the classroom on 11/16/2023 from 4:30pm-5:30pm. Please see the attached flier for the QR code you can use to join. Some ways drones are used in the classroom are:

1.       STEM Challenges. One example is where you lift and launch an egg using a drone, its safer than a ladder and so much more fun! 
  2.       Drone racing. Have students race against the clock rather than each other. Give them a set time that they should complete their racecourse. Working together they can learn from the mistakes of the first team, and they will brainstorm to overcome challenges, obstacles, and failures to bet the clock not each other.
  3.       Obstacle Courses. A main focus on drone racing is the obstacle course. Discuss as a class some of the hardest flight skills and make a list of those you want the students to include in their obstacle course. 
  4.       Hands-On Projects. Use the drone in a hands-on service project. Use your drone to detect litter so students can pick up the litter in your community.
  5.       Drones and Art. Drones can take amazing pictures or videos. Use them to take pictures of school or community activities.

There are so many ways to use drones in the classroom. Every student can learn something new by getting to use their hands and mixing up their learning routine.