New Openings: Jersey Mike’s

Keisha Wiseman, Contributor

Surprise! As you all know we had a new sub shop open up on Wednesday, December 15, 2021 at 1302 East Main Street, Unit C in Robinson. The new shop is called Jersey Mike’s. I had a chance to talk to a few individuals who work at Jersey Mike’s and get the inside scoop on the new establishment. 

Everyone in the area had probably seen the signs on the road saying “Coming soon: Jersey Mike’s”. It felt like they had been there for quite a while, but construction only took about nine months.

Why would someone want to open a business in the midst of a pandemic and economic turmoil? “Well, the owner is a retired police officer, named John Birkofer. He has gone to 13 different sub shops and said that Jersey Mike’s has the best subs, and he has always wanted to own a restaurant. He wanted to bring a restaurant called Jersey Mikes, into Robinson.”

I interviewed Halle Piper, an employee at Jersey Mike’s who is also a familiar face around Palestine High School. Halle said that the money is pretty good, and a normal shift for her is pretty busy. I was curious to know what the most common order is. Halle told me that the #42 (the Chipotle Chicken Cheese Steak) with bacon is a popular choice. When Halle was asked about what sets Jersey Mike’s apart from similar restaurants, she simply responded with, “It is better to eat at.”

So, if you like subs, then I suggest you head over to Robinson’s new Jersey Mike’s Sub Shop. Try their subs; hopefully it is a good fit for you!