How TikTok is Changing the Entertainment Industry

TikTok is a popular app that came out in September 2016 after it was formally known as Musically. This a platform for people and influencers to share, create, and discover short videos made by people on the platform. On the app, there is a category called the For You Page, which is filled with videos that are selected to best fit what you are interested in. The algorithm takes the data of the videos that you watch and adds more videos just like it to the for you page just for you! This is making TikTok a real competitor with big social media platforms like YouTube, Netflix, and Spotify. There is also a side of TikTok called BookTok which is a good way for book retailers and authors of books to promote their work. Music markets have also similarly leaned into the app as a way to get their songs on the mainstream.

TikTok is where a lot of people launch their careers in music, dance, comedy, and even writing. As TikTok influence on entertainment grows it does lead Insider to examine how the app has changed various corners of the industry. Among the most beneficial artists on the platform are dancers. Some of them are using TikTok to get noticed by casting agents and the company, The American Ballet Theatre, has turned to TikTok for branding and recruiting.

While the platform is doing good for some, there is some behind-the-scenes drama that the public doesn’t see that often. TikToks relationship with the entertainment industry has developed some not so good relationships between them and record labels as it begins to invade on their territory by offering services directly to artists. Some music artists have also expressed “TikTok fatigue”, as the need to balance content creation with their standard work of recording songs and touring has become “exhausting”.

In the comedy world TikTok has offered a resource for comedians to pay their bills through brand deals and other paid promotions while using the app to build a recognizable brand. Laughs on TikTok can turn into buisness and lead to being on the stand-u stage or the SNL writers’ room.

The platform TikTok is very powerful and can change a lot of peoples lives. People can make a living off of this app and get their content out there for a bigger audience to see.