National Weather Service Resurveyed 2023 Tornado

The National Weather Service has resized the tornado that came through our area on March 31, 2023.

After looking at more videos and drone footage, they came across some crazy discoveries. They also resurveyed the area and went to areas they were unable to get to before because of downed power lines and flooding in the immediate aftermath of the tornado. They found the wind strength that hit the homes and buildings was much faster than they first thought.

When the tornado first entered the county, it only did damage to trees, but it became must larger and more dangerous and became an EF-3 tornado as it neared Robinson, IL. The wind speeds reached 165 while in Crawford County, which is only 1 mile per hour short of an EF-4 tornado!

As the tornado moved along the south edge of Robinson, the tornado strength dropped a bit to the low end of an EF-3 tornado, but still sadly ruining homes and destroying everything in its path. Three people were killed and eight were injured due to this horrific storm. When the tornado reached Route 1 it became stronger again and moved towards the airport. It then moved across the Wabash river and headed into Sullivan, IN. This tornado was 2/3 miles long.

I will never in my life forget this night. We were at home and in our basement. The sound of this storm was like nothing I had ever heard. The damage afterwards was nothing I had ever seen before.  One mile per hour short of an EF-4… that is just crazy!