Stetson Wright, Out of the NFR

Stetson Wright, Out of the NFR

If you watch rodeo, bull riding or saddle bring in general, you have heard the name Stetson Wright. Stetson, the 24 year old rodeo icon, has stamped his name on the National Finals Rodeo in Las Vegas Nevada, for the past few years. Fans were hoping that he could do it again and take home the titles of Saddle Bronc, Bull Riding, and the All around champion in 2023. Wright, the Beaver Utah phenom, was ready to win the world again, but after suffering an injury the beginning of November the rodeo legend would have to work a little harder. Stetson injured his hamstring, but rehabbed the injury and was ready to compete at the NFR.

During round 2 on Saturday night December 9, wright was bucked off Big Rafters horse, Wild Valley, in the saddle bronc. For Stetson to hit the ground so early in his ride, fans definitely could tell something was wrong. Stetson hobbled out of the arena where he found his dad Cody and was extremely emotional while Cody helped him back ti the locker room to assess his injury. Not long after the injury, Justin Sports medicine Medical Director, Dr. Tandy Freeman, made and announcement. Tandy said “ He said he is out for the remainder of the Rodeo. We filled out a doctor’s release for the remaining rounds. He’s not going to try to come back in 2 rounds or 5 rounds, he’s through.” As rodeo fans, the sight of watching Stetson hobble out of the arena in tears was heartbreaking as wright was so close to winning the world in the 3 categories listed above.

Stetson said in an interview that he was at peace with his decision to withdrawal for the remaining rounds of the NFR. Stetson is an athlete and he knew that if he kept competing with an injury, he was likely to injure something else in the process. Even though Stetson won’t compete, he still clinched the All Around title by having a massive $300,000 lead on his competitors. Though he is out of the running in bull riding, his best friend and traveling partner, Ky Hamilton is clinching the title by riding 6 of 7 bulls so far. Ky set a record of the most earnings in one day at $114,000.00 the day after being carried out on a stretcher after a horrible wreck with his bull.

Stetson is rooting for his buddy Ky to win the world in bull riding and his brother Ryder to clinch the title in Saddle Bronc. Even though Stetson will be heading in for surgery to fix his torn hamstring next week, you will find him jumping up and down on the back of the cute as those other 2 guys ride. Stetson is a true competitor, friend, brother, and athlete. I have no doubt in my mind that Stetson Wright will come back better than ever, and until then, he will be at the rodeos rooting on his friends and family in true Stetson style. Healthy, wealth, handsome, and happy.