Red Ribbon Week!

Red ribbon week
Red ribbon week
given

In a cooperative effort with PGS, PHS will be celebrating Red Ribbon Week! This is an amazing way for the two schools to unite and take a visible stand against drugs. As always there are dress up days throughout the week. This year, Monday is “Stand up to drugs: Rally in Red” and students are supposed to wear red. Tuesday is “My Future is too bright” and students are supposed to wear tie dye or glitter. Wednesday is “Team up Against Drugs” and students are supposed to wear Team Jersey or Shirts. Monday there will be a speaker that will be speaking at 1:30 in the gym. On Tuesday there is an alternative drive day to school to promote this day. If you choose you can drive a tractor (any high school age) farm side by sides, mowers, or whatever else (16 years or older)

Red Ribbon Week started after the death of Drug Enforcement Administration Special Agent Enrique “Kiki” Camarena, who in 1985 was brutally murdered by drug traffickers he was investigating in Mexico. After his death, people started wearing red ribbons to honor Kiki’s sacrifice.

In many communities the celebration has turned into a variety of activities implemented throughout the month of October. These activities are meant to demonstrate the importance of making healthy and smart decisions throughout life so that your dreams and goals can be achieved.

The pledge below is taken by students and faculty around the nation to support an honor his memory:

“I pledge to stay in school and learn the things that I need to know.  I pledge to make the world a better place for kids like me to grow. I pledge to keep my dreams alive and be all that I can be.  I pledge to help others and to keep myself drug free.”