The Annual Homecoming Bonfire!

Though tears were shed by more than one, the bonfire was, as always, one of the best nights of the week!
Zoey Rinesmith
The 2023 homecoming bonfire
The simple but captivating words from Senior Jack Hawkins

The annual bonfire has always and hopefully will always be one of the best memories from Homecoming week. From the games before the fire, the speech as we light it, down to the picture snapped in front of it, the bonfire, especially for the senior class, is always special. This year Jack Hawkins gave the senior speech to start the night, and though he choked up a little it was all worth the excitement. The words he said were simple, but impactful, causing the students, faculty, and visitors to roar into a cheer. “I hope everyone enjoys this night, and the bonfire roar and the laughter that fills the air.” The rest of the night was filled with heat from the fire, laughter from students and even more tears from seniors who are just not ready to leave.

After many left the fire was spreading on the ground causing the Palestine Fire department to come and put out the ground but leaving the base of the fire for the people that were still watching. The fire this year was at least double the size of the fire last year and some have said even three times the size. When we look back on this night, everyone that was there surely will agree that it was a night that no one will forget. As we prepare for the OPH football game on Friday against the Tecumseh Braves and the Homecoming dance Saturday we look forward to winning, and even more fun celebration.