Synchronous Learning at PHS

Bridgette Woodward, Editor

Synchronous learning is where two classrooms are learning the same things at the same time, but online. This upcoming fall semester of 2023, Palestine High School will start offering synchronous learning to its students.

The idea has been around for a while now, even before zoom classes during COVID. Recently pilot versions of it were held, and everything went smoothly. These classes can helpĀ  students earn dual credits that aren’t on APEX, the online learning app that PHS currently uses. Even Mr. Will agrees, saying, “I think it is going to be better than strictly online learning, and it offers dual credits without students having to drive”.

The expectations for synchronous learning are the same in a normal classroom. Even though all students won’t be physically in the same space, students attending online should be respectful to the teacher, stay on task and show maturity because it is a college class. The classroom that this will take place in is the current Spanish room, and while these classes are going on, there will be a teacher in the PHS classroom assisting with the students here. On the screen there will be two boxes, one with the teacher from the college and the other to show the class the papers. This new way of learning and earning dual credits is beneficial in many ways, and it will hopefully go well next semester when it starts up.