Feeling Unmotivated? Overwhelmed? You Aren’t Alone.

Katie Lanham, Editor

This is the part of the year that for most, seems to go the slowest. Yes, chronologically we’re getting toward the end of the year, but May still seems so far away. Midterm has passed, and most of us seem so ready to be done with this year. Maybe it’s a senior thing, where we’ve done so much of high school, but there’s still just enough for us to want it to go faster.

In a few months, I know I’ll wish I had slowed down and enjoyed my last year a bit more, but for right now I’m beyond ready to let this year go. It is so easy to get behind, and once you do it takes some serious effort to catch up. It feels easier to just let late work go and just do whatever comes next, but grades really suffer with that mindset. It’s better to work with your teachers that are willing to take late work, because none of them want you to fail. Most will help you, if you ask. It can be hard to want to, but you have to just keep going.

The end of the year is approaching. Now is not the time to get discouraged, but I couldn’t blame you if you did. It would be too hypocritical, as I’ve spent the last week dreading the day I’d have to deal with the molehill of work that I’ve turned in to a mountain. Unfortunately, the only fix is to keep working through it, and to know that eventually this part will be over. A fresh start is coming, but that isn’t a reason to give up on the challenges of today, I guess. School is hard. Make sure to give yourself some grace.