Senior Spotlight: Makinley Bonesteel

Welcome to our second Senior Spotlight of the year! Today, I interviewed Makinley Bonesteel, a senior who has a very kind heart. As some are aware, Makinley Bonesteel is an incredibly busy high schooler. She is a cheerleader for both the OPH Football and OPH Basketball team and is involved in just about every club PHS offers. These include Yearbook, Drama Club, Pay it Forward, Student Senate (Treasurer) Class of 2022 Student Senate Representative, History Club, National Honors Society, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, ACES, and Math Team. 

Making memories is what high school is all about. Makinley said, “my best memory of high school was freshman year when Dallas Kidwell, Chase Knoblet, Halle Piper, and I microwaved a bag of popcorn multiple times to see if we could get the leftover kernels to pop…we nearly caught the bag of popcorn on fire.” That is certainly one for the books!

Makinley Bonesteel has some big plans for her future once she is finished with high school; she plans to become a nurse practitioner! She told me, “I am still undecided on a university, but I want to get my bachelor’s degree in nursing. Afterwards, I want to work as a traveling nurse while working towards my degree to get my dream job as a nurse practitioner.” 

Moving on from Palestine High School will not be as easy as it may seem to some. Makinley is going to miss her friends and the school in general. She said, “a group of seniors became even closer this year, and I am for sure going to miss seeing them on a daily basis. I absolutely love how close PHS allows you to get to your classmates. We’ve grown up together and are nearly family at this point.” 

I believe most people can agree with Makinley on the downfall of high school. She thinks the worst part about high school is the amount of stress. High school on its own is stressful but even more so “when you’re trying to juggle all of your high school classes and its homework, multiple college classes and its homework, a job, and sports all at once.”

Makinley left one piece of advice for upcoming high schoolers: “Highschool goes so fast. My best advice is to enjoy it while you can. Join clubs, get involved, and have the best time that you can.”