Start Noticing Mental Health Symptoms

Keisha Wiseman, Contributor

Noticing some struggles people have with mental health can be very difficult. There are a few reasons it is hard to tell, but I can think of two off the top of my head.  First of all, people hide their depression or anxiety.  Secondly, those that do admit it, frequently get dismissed as faking it for attention.  

There are so many people in the world right now suffering with mental conditions, such as anxiety, depression, PTSD, and many others. Many people tend to hide it, some better than others.  They will say they are fine and act happy, but when they get home, they will most likely feel alone and have no one to talk to.  These people are usually the therapists for their friends, but nobody is there for them when they need them.  If it is taking a student, friend, or family member forever to turn in things, if they are suffering from a lack of sleep, if they sleep too much, or if they just do not care anymore, then something is probably wrong. Unfortunately, this is also very dangerous because hiding things like this may even lead to suicide.

People are usually accused of faking mental health issues, maybe because it seems like everyone else has issues and not because they really do. My opinion on this is that not everyone is depressed for attention, but if it is for attention then it is most likely a cry for help. Friends, family or people involved in their lives need to sit down and actually have a conversation with the people they are worried about because every 40 seconds someone dies from a suicide, and every 43 seconds someone attempts one. 

Even if a person acts like everything is okay, you still should check up on them, because you are not sure what could be actually happening behind closed doors.  Stop putting things off and talk to them now, because later is not always promised.  Check on people before it is too late.