Gone too Soon…

Jennifer Rinesmith
Zoey at senior prom

These past few days have been bittersweet, as I finish my last few assignments, clean out my locker, and attend my last day of school. I have always been sentimental but this time it is different. I have always loved school. In fact I asked my parents to leave me at Preschool and was so excited to start learning. But as I am looking back at my years here at Palestine, I am almost teary eyed thinking about the memories I have made. 

At the end of freshman year, my parents dropped the bomb that we were moving. After living in the same place for 16 years, my whole life, and being told I was moving, I was not exactly happy at the news. But in May of 2021, I moved here and little did I know that it was the best thing that could have ever happened. 

Sophomore year for me started before everyone else’s with band camp, something that I will forever love and remember. I vividly remember the first day in band camp because I was sitting in the corner waiting for the others to get there, and Ace walked in the door. We locked eyes and he pointed at me and went, “I know you.” I looked at him and said “I know you.” We have known eachother since preschool and have grown up together. After that I was able to fit in a little more with my band mates and it made the year easier for sure. Not only did I know Ace, but Addi McNair also moved over here the same time I did. Even knowing people already, my first day was nerve-racking. I spent the morning panicking about what to wear and what to say, but when I got to school everything was normal. Nobody stared at me, nobody singled me out and I started to calm down. I found my class sat in the front row and waited for my day to start. That is when Mr. Smith entered the fray. He asked about my summer, and just about me, and I knew that he had changed my view on things. I had never had a teacher take time to ask every student about their summer, weekend, or day and it helped me get through that day and year. After I got my footing and started to gain a little bit of confidence, it was time for Drama Club’s fall/winter performance. I remember telling Mrs. Hyde that I would never step foot on stage. She told me to just audition and see how it went, so I auditioned for Late Night in Snow White and got a role and I loved it. I loved the feeling of being on stage, and I have participated in the play every year since. I also met my best friend on September 3rd, in our PE class that we shared together. I played the song, In My Mind by Lyn Lapid, and Dannika Fulling walked up to me, commenting on my music taste and we became friends instantly and we are still friends to this day. 

Junior year came in a flash and I started my business! I started Zoey Mae Creations through the CEO program. I was able to make a little extra money and start something I will continue to do for the rest of my life. I fell in love with history and discovered new things about our founding. Then I got to go to Boston and New York, seeing things that I never thought I would, meeting people, and enjoying the little masterpieces that are the world. I saw my first ever Broadway show, falling in love with yet another musical. Getting to meet one of my favorite actors, Gaten Matarazzo with Ace right by my side, I was ecstatic. But then, it was time to say goodbye to the best history teacher I could have asked for, Mrs. Cutright. Then it was the time I was trying to avoid, the graduation of the Class of 2023. Watching my best friend walk across the stage was a feeling I have never felt until then and I was beyond proud of her and all that she did. It was a quick and fun year, but I wouldn’t change it for the world.

Senior year was here and I was on cloud nine. The year started and I fell back into my routine but shortly everything started happening. Before I knew it, Homecoming came and the bonfire speech came with it. Saying goodbye to one of my favorite sports to watch was harder than I thought. We started rehearsals for the fall/winter play and the Haunted House and it hit me hard that this was the last year for it. Then we went to the Fox Theater in St. Louis and watched one of the most beautiful productions of Mamma Mia I have ever seen. It all seemed okay for a while, but then it was time for the spring play. It was the last big thing for Drama Club, and it was hard to say goodbye. Then PROM. The big dance. I got to spend it with my favorite girls and dance the night away. Now sitting here going through the years, I can be happier with the memories made, the tears shed, and the laughs shared.

I want to say thank you to all of my teachers that have helped time and time again. But I want to give a big thank you to Mr. Smith for making my first class and day here a little less scary, and to Mrs. Hyde for walking with me through all of it. These teacher will forever be one of the best and I could not be more proud to be their student.