Presidents day

Presidents day

February 19, 2024 we are out of school for President’s Day. President’s day, orically Washington’s Birthday at the federal government level, is a holiday in the United States on the third Monday of February. We celebrate this day to honor all of the presidents that served as presidents of the United States and since 1879 has been the federal holiday honoring George Washington who led us to victory in the American Revolutionary War and was the first US President. George Washington’s birthday was February 22, 1732. His birthday was celebrated on this day from 1879 to 1970. To give federal employees a three day weekend in 1968 the Uniform Monday Holiday Act made it on the third Monday in February. This soon became President’s Day. Some states do not celebrate this day. We students for one are glad that Illinois does celebrate this day as it gives us an extra day off of school! We also get out early on February 16th which is my birthday so that is like a birthday gift in itself. A food associated with President’s day is cherry pie, based on the legend of Washington in his youngers day chopped down a cherry tree. Since 1862 there is a tradition in the United States Senate that George Washington’s Farewell Address be read on his birthday.  Did you know that the government debated renaming the holiday to include President Abraham Lincoln’s birthday but it failed. George Washington’s birthplace is in a national monument and is located in Colonial Beach, VA.