Daylens Dragons Beard Candy

Dragon’s Beard candy, according to the legend, was invented during the Chinese Han Dynasty by an imperial court chef who entertained the Emperor by performing the complicated steps of making a new confection. This candy involved stretching a dough-like mixture composed of rice flour into small thin strands. That is the most widely accepted story, but there are other theories that this candy got its name because of how the cotton-like sugar sticks to your face when you eat it, making people look like they’ve got a scraggly white beard, much like a dragon. Further tying this candy to the Chinese Imperial Court is that the Chinese dragon is a symbol of the Emperor. Since the candy was consumed largely by the Emperor and those with money, thanks to the intricate process of making it, it may have been called Dragon’s Beard candy for that reason instead.

Although Dragon’s Beard candy has been around for centuries, the process of making it hasn’t changed too much in all that time. It is still made largely by hand. This candy is made by boiling down sugar until it forms a solid substance; which is then mixed with rice flour and cornstarch. As the sugar is worked it becomes stringy and thin, forming what looks like a Chinese dragon’s beard.

Daylen Beckes, a junior at Palestine High School, attempted to make Dragons Beard candy. On her first attempt, the recipe did not tell her to add sugar so the consistency and the taste was way off. So she attempted it again and this time, she added sugar. This last attempt turned out perfect. After she was done pulling it we all tasted it and it turned out way better than expected. Daylen would recommend anyone making this candy at least once!