Renaissance: A Film by Beyoncé

The contrasts of “Renaissance: A Film By Beyoncé” are fascinating, yet the vision is strong and convincing.

In this massive documentary of her last concert tour, Beyoncé, a global superstar and generational genius, is an incredible force to witness. Over almost three hours, she transforms from a dazzling, kind goddess to an Afrofuturist cyborg to a gorgeous, fierce vixen. She grins and growls, encouraging her loving crowd to follow suit, telling the weeping members of her audience that she wants to create a safe atmosphere for them. She sings her heart out of a wide range of hits, flexes her powerful dance routines, and strongly displays entire authenticity through every mood. She is every woman. Beyoncé has also found the empowering thrill of refusing to care what other people think, which is a joy for any woman who has reached middle age. Throughout the course of the movie, we witness her turn 42, with none other than Diana Ross serenading tens of thousands of fans on her birthday at one of her Los Angeles shows. Intimate yet wide “Renaissance” showcases Beyoncé’s unattainable beauty while also highlighting the strong sense of community the Beyhive fosters by angling the camera in the direction of the viewer. Her status as a queer icon can be seen in everything she does, from the applauding fans in glittery silver dresses who sing along to every word to her heartfelt remembrance of her late Uncle Johnny, a Black gay man who was a vital member of her family and who gave her an early appreciation for house music and fashion.