Lady Tigers vs North Central

Gracelyn Arvin

Hutsonville’s volleyball team played against North Central (Farmersburg, IN) on Monday, September 25th. The Lady Tigers lost in three sets with scores of 20-25, 26-24, and 19-In the first set, North Central served first, and Hutsonville scored their second point with Alaina Holcomb’s hit. The Ladybirds then scored five of the next six points, leading 5-3. But the Lady Tigers responded by winning three of the next four points, tying the set at 6-6 with a hit from Hayden Monan.

After a series of side-outs and each team scoring a point, the set was tied at 13-13. Then, North Central gained a 17-13 lead with four consecutive points. Hutsonville came close at 21-20 with two kills from Francesca Comandini and one from Ayla Cook, but they couldn’t catch up, and the Ladybirds won the first set 25-20.

In the second set, Holcomb started with a point, and Ilayna Sheets served an ace, giving the Lady Tigers a 3-0 lead. However, North Central responded with three points of their own, tying the set at 3-3. The score remained tied at 7-7 for a while before the Ladybirds took a 10-7 lead.

Hutsonville fought back and took a 12-11 lead after some great plays, including kills by Comandini and Cook. North Central then had a 9-2 run and regained the lead at 21-17. Both teams exchanged points (22-18), and Hutsonville closed the gap to 22-20.

The Lady Tigers battled hard, and Comandini’s kill and Holcomb’s ace at 26-24 evened the match as they won the second set.

In the third set, Sheets gave Hutsonville a 3-1 lead with an ace, and Cook scored a point with a kill at 5-3. However, North Central rallied and took a 9-5 lead. Hutsonville fought back again, tying the set at 13-13 with Monan and Sheets contributing kills and aces.

The Lady Tigers briefly led 14-13, but the Ladybirds scored five consecutive points to lead 19-14. North Central had their largest lead at 21-15, but Hutsonville scored three points to make it 21-18.

North Central closed out the match, winning four of the last five points and taking the third set 25-19.

To summarize the players’ performance, Francesca Comandini had four kills, Ayla Cook had five kills, Alaina Holcomb had one ace and five kills, Hayden Monan had two kills, Izabella Monan had three kills, Reese Noblitt had one ace, and Ilayna Sheets had seven aces and one kill.