Volleyball: Lady Tigers vs Bulldogs of Dugger

Gracelyn Arvin

On September 26, 2023, the Hutsonville Lady Tigers hosted the Lady Bulldogs from Dugger, Indiana. Both JV and Varsity played very well. In the first set of the JV Game The lady tigers had taken advantage of the miscues by the Bulldogs and got lots of points winning with a 25-9 win. In the second set the Lady tigers had lots of aces and kills.  The lady Tigers scored 25-12 making it a sweep by The JV.

In the first set of the varsity game, Dugger initially took a 2-0 lead with Brae Simpson serving two aces, but Hutsonville seized control, capitalizing on four Lady Bulldog errors, three kills by Alaina Holcomb, and two aces from Ilayna Sheets to make it 9-2. Dugger fought back and narrowed the gap to 11-8. However, Francesca Comandini’s impressive serving streak, featuring 6 aces, propelled the Lady Tigers to win the first set 25-9.

In the second set, Hutsonville started strong with a 4-1 lead, powered by kills from Holcomb, Izzy Monan, and Francesca Comandini. Dugger made a comeback to tie the set at 4-4 and 6-6, eventually taking a brief lead at 7-6. Nevertheless, Hutsonville regained the advantage after a serving error tied it at 7-7. The Lady Tigers extended their lead with four consecutive kills by Hayden Monan and Ayla Cook, making it 11-7. They maintained control, securing the set with contributions from various players, including Hayden Monan’s aces and Cook’s kills, winning 25-15.

Key contributors for Hutsonville included Francesca Comandini with 6 aces and 1 kill, Ayla Cook with 1 ace and 7 kills, Alaina Holcomb with kills, Hayden Monan with 1 ace, 5 kills, and 2 blocks, Izabella Monan with 2 kills, Reese Noblitt with 1 ace, and Ilayna Sheets with 3 aces and 1 kill.

Hutsonville, with a record of 13-5, is set to play at Oblong on October 5, 2023.