Club Spotlight: Drama Club

Alysa Kennedy, Editor

Drama Club is a continuously growing club at PHS. The club requires a great number of members to be able to put on such fantastic performances. Roles within the club include actors, set/prop designers, light and sound crew members, and many more. With so much to do, there is always room for more members!

In the past, there have been roughly the same amount of members involved in the club in one way or another. However, there has recently been a shift that has made a great impact on the club’s performances. This year, there are many more members acting than ever! This is fantastic news! With more actors, the club has a much greater variety of plays to choose from. This also allows them to put on plays that may be more well known by the audience. 

Generally, the club will arrange to have two big performances within the school year. This of course may change as the club comes up with new ideas throughout the year. The club is always thinking about how they can make their plays better for their audience. Some ideas they have come up with and implemented include interactive plays and 10 minute plays. The club was even able to travel to 3 different nursing homes last semester to perform their 10 minute plays. It was a hit!

Drama Club members put in a substantial amount of time and effort into each performance they put on. Actors usually begin learning their lines 2 to 3 months before the big performance. In that period of time, actors spend 4 to 6 hours a week preparing. That doesn’t include the time each member spends practicing on their own. Between school, sports, jobs, and other responsibilities, it is a challenge to have everyone in one place for practices. Their ability to dedicate the amount of free time they have preparing for their plays, shows how devoted these students are to their club. Keep it up Drama Club!