Should Students Get Paid For Good Grades

Tyler Dennison, Contributor

Students around the country do not really have an incentive to get good grades. Some would say that they do not have to get good grades; all they have to do is pass. My argument against that would be that if they were to try to get a job that wanted to look at their transcripts, they would most likely not get the job due to their low grades.

Students would be more likely to get good, or at least better, grades if they had a reward to work for. Similar to the perfect attendance at PHS, students are more likely to attend every day given that they will receive 50 dollars for it. Do not get me wrong, I don’t think we should be handing out great sums of money to students who get good grades, but something along the lines of 50 dollars for achievement honors, 75 dollars for honors, and 100 dollars for high honors.

Yes, this would put a damper on the schools that don’t have a lot of money, but if the schools had their kids run a couple fundraisers every quarter, then you could just divide up the profit from those to give to the students who got good grades.

Some students in college already get paid to go to school, but they do not get paid to get good grades. I think this would in turn help schools in other ways too. I think with that incentive, students would not only try a little harder, but also be more likely to attend school every day.