Your Help is Needed to Beat Cancer

Gavin Postlewaite, Contributor

Dalton Herlocher, an 8th grader at Palestine Grade School, needs your help. He was recently diagnosed with a cancer called non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and has to start chemo treatments immediately.

Lymphoma cancers originate in the lymphatic system in the body, which is part of the immune system. The primary difference between non-Hodgkins and Hodgkins lymphoma is the presence of Reed-Sternberg cells, which only occurs in the Hodgkins type. These are mutated lymphocytes cells that can grow to an abnormally large size. This causes extreme fatigue, loss of appetite, and other symptoms.

There is always some good to be found in the bad, however. Even in its later stages, lymphoma is usually pretty curable with modern medicines that have been created to fight it. Although, these medicines and treatments are not cheap. In support of Dalton and his family, Palestine has a few ways you can help. Every Monday for the rest of the year, there will be a hat day. Wear a hat to school for $1. Donations of greater amounts are welcome. Money will be collected during 1st and 2nd hour, and those coming in from off campus classes may pay Peg in the office.

In addition to hats, the PHS staff may wear jeans on Mondays. The money collected will go towards gas money and gift cards to various locations the family can eat at while traveling back and forth from the hospital. The family is also requesting cards. Palestine shows what it means to be a Pioneer; we look after our own. Everything that you can do to support helps no matter how small the act.