Isaac York – 21 Year Old Kickboxer

Keisha Wiseman, Contributor

Isaac York is not your typical man. Isaac is a 21 year old kickboxer, who was born in Terre Haute, IN then moved to Robinson, Il, he also moved to West Union, IL and finally to Palestine, IL where he graduated From Palestine High School in 2018. 

Isaac became involved in sports at a young age, probably at the age of four, when he was playing basketball in kindergarten.  

“I did not go to sports; sports came to me. Since I was younger I believe that it was what made me unique and I felt motivated to go into sports.“

Isaac’s P. E. teacher at Palestine High School, Travis Blank, always watching how quickly Isaac could throw a punch when demonstrating fighting skills.  

“Isaac is quick and athletic, in addition to being a good person who always loves to help out others.  I love watching Isaac fight during boxing or kickboxing tournaments.” 

Isaac has started boxing and kickboxing since he graduated from high school. Since graduation, when he is not focused on boxing, he has also learned judiscu, chess, and music, all of which he is passionate about, along with his love of baseketball and boxing. 

Isaac will box in his first official tournament on February 12, 2022.  Even though boxing is not yet helping him pay his bills, Isaac still believes he is living his dream to the best of his ability. His goal is to turn into a professional boxer by the age of 23 years old.  Regardless of what happens, Isaac’s goals for the future are definite.

“I want to earn a positive income, and make sure others do not give up on their dreams just because they feel like they won’t make it.”

As he has pursued his own goals, Isaac enjoys sharing some of the wisdom that has helped him stay focused and driven.  

“Just try harder, and you will succeed, even when there are great things to overcome. Enjoy life, and never give up on what you truly want.” 

While Isaac admits that there have been times he’s been discouraged, he always reminds himself that his idols worked very hard to get to where they are now.  He says that although he’s happy with himself, he’s never completely satisfied because he always wants to push to be better.

Isaac appreciates that everyone around him has always been supportive, especially on days that he believed he would not make it into boxing.  

His aunt, Debbie Wiseman says, “I am very proud of him and who has become over the years.”

In the end, though, the most important person who needs to believe in him is Isaac himself.

Anyone interested in attending Isaac’s first official boxing tournament is welcome to attend on February 12, 2022 at 124 S. Court St. Sullivan, Indiana. Doors will open at 4:00 p.m.and the first bout will take place at 5:00 p.m. General admission is $35; VIP table seats (8 at a table) are $600, and front row seats are $65.