Meet Mrs. Hyde!

Krescene Holscher, Editor

How often do we leave our teachers out of our minds? So many of us simply think they are here to teach, but it is about so much more than just teaching to them. I sat down with the best English teacher here at Palestine High School to get to know a little bit more about her life.

Mrs. Susan Hyde has been teaching in Palestine for ten years. During her first year here she was also in her fourth year teaching at Lincoln Trail College. When Mrs. Hyde needed a job, she knew that she wanted to do something that would make a difference. Mrs. Hyde decided to become a teacher when she realized she really enjoyed teaching when homeschooling her own children. Mrs. Hyde said that her favorite thing about being a teacher is the students. She told me enthusiastically, “The students, I like getting to know the students.”

I almost stumped Mrs. Hyde when I asked her about her favorite thing about life. After a moment of deep thought, she said, “I like my life a lot, actually. I like my family. I like my church. I love my job, my husband.” It almost seemed as though she could have gone on and on about the things she loves and enjoys. As you may have already known, Mrs. Hyde seems to be cheerful in all weathers. With an outlook like this on life, it would be difficult not to be!

Finally, I asked Mrs. Hyde if there was anything she would like to say to her students. She said, “Although they should have fun at this time in their life, they should also take it seriously. The decisions you’re making right now can point you in a direction [that] might make it harder to get back to where you want to be. So, just take it seriously when you’re making those kinds of decisions.”