The Pros and Cons of Chromebooks

Kieran Jenkins, Contributor

One of the results of the pandemic for our students was the start of one-to-one chromebooks at Palestine High School.  After the school sent all of its existing chromebooks home to be used for our state mandated virtual learning in the spring of 2020, the district used grant money to purchase enough new chromebooks for every student in the high school to have one the following year.  Giving every student a chromebook has pros and cons.

A good thing about having the school chromebooks is that most of our homework is online.  We do more online than we do on paper in most classes, so we can bookmark the websites our teachers have use a lot so then we don’t lose them. Because we are able to take our chromebooks home with our own chargers, we can finish what we have to at home.

While it is convenient to have our chromebooks at home, unfortunately, sometimes the WiFi at home can go out.  Sometimes we can lose track of our notes in google docs.  Sometimes, our chromebook will die on us if we don’t charge it.2

Regardless of how we feel about having our own school issued chromebooks, it’s a policy that probably isn’t going to go away anytime soon, so we probably need to focus on the positive and appreciate having a chromebook we didn’t have to pay for!

I asked Wesley Adams how he feels about having a chromebook and he said, “its okay, but its nice to have one to do my school work on.”