An Old Gym with a New Look

Macy Biggs, Contributor

This past summer, Palestine High School’s gym was renovated and given a brand new look.  Over the years, the gymnasium was damaged through many games from kickball to basketball.  The ceiling had many holes from equipment, and the wooden floors were quite scuffed. Palestine’s School Board decided that something needed to be done.  

In addition to the unattractiveness of the holes in the ceiling, there were also some safety concerns that came up, which pushed for something to be done.  “Around the perimeter, the particle board started to deteriorate and was beginning to fall,” said board president, Corie Biggs.

The original plan was to tear down the old boards of the ceiling, and replace them with new sound-deadening panels.  The estimated cost of this work was over $90,000. During a walk-through of the high school earlier this year in the spring, board members noted a section of ceiling near the gym that was previously removed and thought the exposed wood looked suitable to be left uncovered.  

In the following weeks, the board members made a decision to remove the old ceiling and leave the original wood exposed.  The board also decided to refinish the wooden floor and remove the dividers on the stage of the gym. The superintendent contacted local contractors and found one that was willing to do the work for a reasonable cost.  

In the end, the renovation cost around $10,000, which saved the school approximately $80,000!  Additionally, the newly exposed wooden ceiling looks outstanding and even a little retro.

Biggs stated, “Through teamwork and brainstorming, we came up with a solution that is safe, was cost effective, and looks great.”