Macy Biggs

Macy at the first track since Freshman year.

Brendyn Piper, Contributor

Macy Biggs was born on May 10, 2001. All through her life she has been involved in many sports ranging from basketball to volleyball to track. She is very athletic and can consistently compete in any sport that she plays. Whatever Macy wants to do, she is a natural at.  However, along the way she has had some setbacks.

On December 22, 2017, Macy was doing an Insanity workout and messed up her knee. This caused the tissue in the knee to inflame. After Macy hurt her knee, she went to go see and specialist. He said that it wasn’t a major injury, but it would be a hindrance. She was sent to go try physical therapy and see if that would help anything. This only helped a little bit, and she decided to go ahead and finish out the volleyball season. 

Allison Dunlap says “Macy wasn’t able to perform as well as she would have if she hadn’t messed her knee up.”

On November 1, 2018, after volleyball season, Macy had knee surgery. This made a huge impact on the things she was able to do. She wasn’t able do much of anything besides therapy exercises for two months and had to go see a physical therapist frequently. Macy was pretty upset that she wasn’t able to do sports anymore and knew that this would probably affect her for the rest of her life. Once she was able to start doing activities she could already tell that her knee was not going to be the same. Every time she did something too strenuous, it would swell up and cause a lot of pain. During this time period Macy just had to take it slow and listen to what her physical therapist said.

Last year during volleyball it still hurt some days, but she was able to get through the season all right. It definitely felt a lot better than it did before she had the surgery.  Now Macy is doing track for the first time since freshman year since the surgery and is having a great time. Macy says she can still tell that she had the surgery but her knee is probably as good as its going to get. “Its taken longer than I would have liked, but I get to run again.”

Macy is now working on getting faster and working up to the speed that she had not used during the down time of not doing track. Macy is thinking about joining the track team at Rose-Hulman next year. She would be doing the 100m and 200m dash, and she is thinking about trying out the 400m.