Your Mental Health Matters Too

I’m sure you’ve seen all over social media all kinds of people advocating for mental health. Telling people to prioritize their mental health. To speak up if you’re struggling. All of that sounds so easy.

If you find yourself thinking that you and your mental health don’t matter, please speak up. Do not be afraid to tell someone about what is bothering you. There are school counselors, teachers, staff, therapists, and plenty of others that would rather listen to your problems and help in any way they can than watch you struggle. If those people cannot directly help you, they will help you to get to someone who can.

Mental health is important because it does not only affect the way you live, but also the way you think. It can affect your energy and your physical health as well. Sometimes it seems impossible to get through. It seems like you’re in such a deep hole that there is no way out, but I promise you there is. There is hope for every single person. It sounds easier than it actually is to do, but speaking out about the things that bother you might help inspire others to do the same.

Don’t ever let anyone tell you that you don’t matter. Don’t let people belittle you. You are just as important as everyone else. Personally, I like to live by a few mottos:

• It’ll all be okay in the end, and if its not okay, it’s not the end.
  • Don’t let other people’s opinions of you bother you. Again, easier said than done. If their opinion doesn’t directly affect you or the way you do basic human things like eating, drinking, sleeping, walking, talking, driving, etc, then it doesn’t matter.
  • “Vulnerability sounds like truth and feels like courage. Truth and courage aren’t always comfortable, but they’re never weakness.” -Brene Brown
  • “Your present circumstances don’t determine where you go; they merely determine where you start.” -Dr. Lauren Fogel Mersy
  • “There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.” -John Green
  • “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.” -Maya Angelou

Do not EVER think that you have to deal with your problems alone. There is ALWAYS someone who can help and if not that, then they can listen and get you to someone who can help you.

You ARE important. You DO matter. You ARE loved. You ARE valued.

So if you are struggling with ANYTHING, pull someone aside and tell them. Let them know what’s going on. There will ALWAYS be someone who will listen. If the first person doesn’t listen, go tell someone else until someone can help. Do NOT give up.

Your life will always be worth living, regardless of how it feels at the present moment. Life comes with twists and turns of all shapes and sizes. It’s not about what is thrown at you in life, it is about whether or not you catch it and return it just as powerful as it was thrown.

You have the power to overcome anything that comes your way.

Your life and well-being matters. Don’t ever forget it.