Larry Bird Museum

This summer I will have to plan a short trip to Terre Haute, Indiana, to go to the museum that will be opening very soon, the Larry Bird Museum.

Located within the Terre Haute Convention Center, the Larry Bird Museum will tell the story of the great basketball player Larry Bird, who grew up in Indiana. Magic Johnson is planning on attending the grand opening of the museum!

A few years back, my family went to French Lick, Indiana, and went by Larry Bird’s childhood home. We also went by Springs Valley High School where he attended, and was the star player of the school’s basketball team and all-time leading scorer by the time he graduated in 1974.

Larry Bird earned a basketball scholarship to Indiana University where he played for the legendary coach Bob Knight. Larry did not like the size of Indiana University so he decided to enroll at Indiana State. During his junior Year at Indiana State, Bird was selected with the sixth overall pick in the NBA draft by the Boston Celtics. He chose to return to Indiana State for one more year and in turn led Indiana State to the NCAA Championship game against Michigan State.

Later that year, Larry Bird signed with the Boston Celtics. In 1992 Larry Bird was chosen to be one of the first United State professional athletes to be sent to the Olympic Games. They became known as the “Dream Team.” The team won the gold medal for the United States.

In 1997 Larry Bird became the head coach of the Indiana Pacers, stepping down in 2000.  Larry Bird had a very successful career and is someone every young athlete can look up to.