To Cruise or not to Cruise?

Have you ever thought about setting sail on a vacation at sea? Cruising has become a popular vacation for many people. Retirees, families, spring breakers, and honeymooners have taken advantage of the many things that cruise ships have to offer. Aside from the relaxation that comes with vacation, this village on the water has many things to take advantage of. Recently my family and I cruised on the Carnival Valor out of New Orleans. This was my first cruise, and I will tell you the pros and cons of this type of vacation.

The pros: you are literally steps away from all you can eat buffets, sushi, pizza, burgers and all you can handle ice cream. The views are amazing. All you can see for miles is water, and we were lucky enough to see a bunch of dolphins jumping out of the water. You are never bored! From the comedy club, the Vegas style shows, dive in movies, and putt putt golf, we never were bored. The dining room experience was fun; we got all dressed up each night for supper which is something we hardly do at home. You also meet so many people from everywhere, which is really cool. The coolest part was waking up each morning somewhere new and visiting countries you never thought you would. Also definitely get a balcony room; you won’t be disappointed!

The cons: For me, I get motion sick easily so this was the worst part! I could feel the ship rocking even the tiniest bit. Even with all of the measures possible, I was still sea sick. The food is plentiful, but not always the best. But hey, it’s free. There are people EVERYWHERE. Unless you get up early and go get a lounge chair, you will be out of luck. There’s also not a lot of shade, so apply sunscreen often, or you’ll be burnt to a crisp like I was. The internet is lousy and is super expensive, so don’t waste your money. I missed my friends, so being homesick does happen.

The price of cruising is worth it. If you enjoy the water and spending quality time with your people since there is ALOT of togetherness. All in all, I think I would cruise again, but maybe next time I will get a shot or something to help with my motion sickness. I recommend cruising with Carnival because it really is the fun ship.