World Sleep Day

March 15th is World Sleep Day?! What in the world are we doing at school? I don’t know about you, but I absolutely love to sleep! Did you know the following facts about sleeps?

• 12% of humans dream in black and white. I know that I dream, and I think it’s in color, but now it has me really wondering if it really is in color.
  • 67% of a cat’s life is spent asleep. I know my dog spends a lot of time asleep so this makes sense.
  • We humans will spend 33% of our lives sleeping.
  • Within 5 minutes of waking up you will have forgotten 50% of your dreams
  • The longest record without sleep is 11 days! I know I could not go that long without sleep!
  • Tigers and infants sleep about 16 hours a day!
  • Sea Otters hold hands when they sleep so they do not drift away from one another.
  • You can survive 2 weeks without water but only 10 days without sleep.
  • A snail can sleep for three years straight!
  • Being awake for 16 hours straight decreases your performance level as much as if your blood alcohol level were .05%.
  • The ideal temperature for sleeping is between 65 to 68 degrees.
  • Falling asleep should take between 10 to 15 minutes.
  • Parents with newborns lose 6 months of sleep in the first 2 years of their child’s life

Getting proper sleep is one of the most important steps you can take to improve your physical and mental health. Take care of yourself. I know that I do not get near enough sleep.