Twisters: The Twister Sequel

Justin Hobson
“File:F5 tornado Elie Manitoba 2007.jpg” by Justin Hobson (Justin1569 at English Wikipedia) is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0.

Twister was an absolute hit when it was released in May 1996. It ended up being the second-highest-grossing film of 1996 and one of the most successful movies of the ’90s. Even today, people and families sit down and enjoy this timeless classic. There are still times when the Drive ‘N Theatre in Newton, IL will play The Wizard of Oz and Twister as a double feature.

Fans of Twister should keep their calendars clear for the weekend of July 19th. This is the weekend that the sequel, Twisters, is set to be released. While there has not been a whole lot of information released about the movie, the movie trailer gave us a little bit of insight as to what might happen. You can watch the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdok0rZdmx4.

From the trailer, it does not seem like it is going to be a continuation of what happened after Twister. In fact the only common link that can be seen in the movie trailer is Dorothy, which if you remember is the barrel that has hundreds of sensors inside that tells Bill and Jo Harding (Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt) data about the tornado. It seems that in Twisters, some of the characters may be using similar technology that was used in the first movie.

As for who is playing in the movie, there is no indication that Helen Hunt will revive her role as Jo Harding. However, we do know that Glen Powell plays Tyler Owens, who is a social-media star who posts about his storm chasing adventures with his crew. Daisy Edgar-Jones plays Kate Cooper, a former storm chaser that had an encounter with a devastating storm back in college. Ever since, Cooper has been studying storm patterns in New York, but gets convinced to go back into the field by one of her close friends.

While this sequel may not be a continuation of Twister, it still seems like it is going to be a fantastic movie. Just from the movie trailer, it is very clear that the CGI and other special effects were done in such a way that it makes the movie seem real. So don’t make plans for the weekend of July 19th because you aren’t going to want to miss the premier of this potential hit movie.