Adding a New Category to the Oscars

Adding a New Category to the Oscars

There are now 24 competitive Oscar categories after adding the new Achievement in Casting that will honor casting directors. The last time there was an Oscar category added was in 2001 when they introduced the Best Animated Feature Film category. A few more of the original Oscar awards were Best Picture, Actor/Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress, Original Screenplay, and Costume Design. To be eligible for an award in a given year, a film must be publicly exhibited for paid admission for at least one week at a commercial theatre in Los Angeles County between January 1 and midnight of December 31 of that year. There are exceptions to this rule including foreign-language fils, which are submitted by their country of origin and need not have been shown in the United States. Documentaries and short films have different eligibility requirements and are officially submitted by their producers, whereas music awards require the musical artist to file a submission form.

“Casting directors play an essential role in filmmaking, and as the Academy evolves, we are proud to add casting to the disciplines that we recognize and celebrate,” Academy CEO Bill Kramer and Academy President Janet Yang said in a joint statement. “We congratulate our Casting Directors Branch members on this exciting milestone and for their commitment and diligence throughout this process.” The Casting Directors Branch was created in July 2013, and according to the Academy, it has nearly 160 members. The nominations for this year’s awards, which will honor the best films of 2023, have already been announced, but don’t expect the casting category to make an appearance on Oscar ballots later this year either. The inaugural award in this category will first be presented in 2026 as part of the 98th Academy Awards, which will honor films released in 2025.