OPH Wildcats vs. Salukis

Final+Score
Zoey Beabout
Final Score

Tuesday, January 30, 2024, what an exciting night for the boys OPH Wildcats!

The JV team took the floor first, with an exciting spirit for one of their last home games in Oblong. Red Hill Salukis traveled to the home of the OPH Wildcats for a disappointing turn out for the Salukis. The JV boys ended the game with a victory of a score of 45-38.

Since this was one of the last game nights in Oblong, this was senior night for the senior cheerleaders and basketball players. Seniors were recognized in between the JV and Varsity game. Max Lewis, Will Callaway, Hannah Potts, Ava Manuel, and Claire Pickering were the five seniors recognized. Not only was it senior night but before recognition of the seniors, the Illinois State Scholars from Palestine and Oblong were announced. Cydney Pethtel was our State Scholar from Palestine.

After proudly recognizing our seniors and State Scholars, it was time for varsity to play. The varsity game began with the singing of the National Anthem and the starting line up for Red Hill Salukis followed by the OPH Wildcats. Riley Blank, Rowen Bailey, Graydon Kincaid, Trevan Webster, and Max Lewis were the first five to take the floor. The Wildcats did not take the tip off, but this didn’t stop them. Riley Blank score the first two points of the game. By the end of the first quarter the score was a close 11-8. Fast forward to half time, the score was 26-20. The fans were getting excited and so were the players. At the third quarter both teams had score +10, making the score 36-30. The fourth quarter was really a nail biter and if you were there you know no one was seated on sitting still. With seconds left of the game, the OPH Wildcats were up by 4. A Saluki sunk a 2 point basket making the final score of the game a close 50-48.

Good job OPH Wildcats. We are proud of you seniors and wish you the best in your next step of life.