January 30, 1956 This day in History

Did you know… back on this day back, January 30, 1956 an unknown white person bombed the home of Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr in Montgomery?

King was speaking at a church on the evening of January 30th when a man bombed his house. At the time his wife was in the house along with their infant daughter. Thank goodness neither of them were injured. Soon after his home was bombed a lot of people who supported him had gathered around his home because they were very angry. But King had none of that, he told them he wanted them to love their enemies. King continued to receive death threats throughout the year and gunshots were shot into his home. The explosion made the whole community very angry and was a huge test of King’s commitment to being non-violent.

At the time King was still very new to Montgomery, Alabama but had already involved himself into the civil rights struggle there.  King was the leading organizer of the Montgomery Bus Boycott, which started in December of 1955 after Rosa Parks was arrested for refusing to give up her seat on the city bus to a white passenger.

Sadly King was assassinated in 1968. This bombing was only one of many sad things that have happened in the story of racism. In 2015 there was a shooting in Charleston, South Carolina church by a white supremacist killing nine black people. Also in 2019 a son of a local sheriff’s deputy was charged with a string of arson attacks on African American churches in Louisiana. It is time for all of the controversy to stop and for everyone to get along.