Elle King Ruins Dolly Parton’d Birthday Bash

Singer Elle King took the stage at the Grand Ole Opry for a Dolly Parton tribute on Friday, January 19th, admitting to the crowd she was under the influence before botching the words to a Dolly Parton song. The awful performance, which occurred on Parton’s birthday, was criticized by audience members and prompted an apology from the venue.

Videos on social media show King, whose real name is Tanner Elle Schneider and is the daughter of comic and actor Rob Schneider, flubbing the lyrics to Parton’s song “Marry Me.”  The Dolly-themed night, held at the Opry’s Rhyman Auditorium on Jan. 19 – Parton’s 78th birthday – also featured Ashley Monroe and Terri Clark. Ahead of the show, the Opry announced singer Lauren Alaina would no longer be able to perform. Lauren Alaina issued a statement to fans, letting them know that due to the historic Nashville snow she is able to get off her street as she lives in a rural area on country roads.

As you have probably guessed, King’s sloppy tribute to one of the most beloved country singers of all time did not go over well. Some fans mentioned there were young children in the audience, claiming that King cursed “about 15 times.” Other fans questioned why King spoke and sang with a Southern twang despite having grown up in New York, Ohio, and L.A.

Since her risky performance at the Ryman, Elle has postponed a series of upcoming concerts. The venue Billy Bob’s Texas announced on Jan. 24 that King’s concert, scheduled for Jan. 26, was rescheduled for seven months down the line. As were upcoming shows in Illinois Indiana, and Michigan.

King’s behavior shocked country fans, many of whom felt that the performance disrespected Parton. It sounds to me like Elle King needs to get herself together and soon.