My Favorite Holiday Traditions

My family does many different kinds of family traditions. My mom’s side of the family is much bigger than my dads side by a long shot, so there are many people and many traditions.

One of my many favorite traditions that we do is we have a HUGE Christmas Day dinner. All of my mom’s side of the family goes to my grandma’s house or comes to my mom’s house. Everyone makes their fair share of food and desserts, but my personal favorite food is either the cheesy potatoes or the noodles and mashed potatoes. My favorite dessert is hands down the peanut butter pie.

Usually on Christmas Eve, me, my momma, my little sister, my younger cousin, and my aunt all drive around in my mom’s car and we look at all the Christmas lights. We then go home and we drink hot chocolate while little bits of some presents are being put under the tree. My momma then brings out the Christmas Eve boxes which have hot cocoa mix, popcorn, a new set of jammies, and a Christmas movie in them, and we take turns watching our movies and eating our popcorn and drinking out hot chocolate.

At the beginning of December, we make this Christmas Bell out of construction paper and we attach rings to this bell to coordinate with how many days are left until Christmas Day. We each take turns tearing one ring off every night before we all go to sleep.

We also do a Secret Santa between all the adults and kids. The adults can’t get the kids and vice versa. We all exchange these gifts at either my grandma’s or my mom’s.

When we do this Christmas at my mom’s or my grandma’s all the adults have matching jammies and each adult’s kids have matching jammies.

We also watch– when I say watch I mean we have it playing in the background –at this Christmas,  National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. It has been a tradition in our family for years to watch it.

I am the oldest grandchild out of soon to be 10 grandchildren. My mom has three sisters and each has at least one kid. My mom has two, me-17, and Willow-8. My Aunt Jenny has four, Koltan-15, Lexie and Leyla-6, Alex-2. My Aunt Brittany has one, Jaiden-10. My Aunt Chelsea has soon to be three. Marcie-8, Tim-3, and one on the way.

Although we have many many traditions, my personal favorite is getting everyone together and spending time together during the  holiday. After a long year, it’s nice to have the whole family together as one and enjoy it.