My Christmas Break

You may feel like Thanksgiving break was just a few days ago, but now Christmas is right around the corner. The hustle and bustle of the holidays can sometimes be stressful, especially with dual credit finals and high school finals. Once those finals can be checked off the to-do list, comes the celebration of the holiday season with winter break.

Palestine High School is filled with Christmas spirit this year, only making the students more excited for winter break than they already are. I can tell you first hand, I am excited for winter break. Winter break is a good time for students to take time away from homework and studying to spend time getting extra sleep and being with friends and family.

Like I said above, winter break is a great opportunity for students to spend time with friends and family…and getting extra sleep. I plan to do exactly that. I have some plans for winter break. I have the same family gatherings that I have every year but I also have some plans that aren’t just the basic family gatherings.

This year finals were part of an incentive program. If your absence, behavior, and grades were well, you didn’t have to take finals. I am one of those people who do not have to take finals at the high school level. This means my last day of school before winter break is Wednesday, December 20. This basically gives me two extra days of winter break.

To start off my winter break, I will be sleeping in every day I get the chance. This is a chance for me to catch up on sleep. I will also be watching Netflix and hanging out in my room, by myself — a chance to get some peace and quiet away from school and work.

Once it comes time, I will be celebrating Brason, my boyfriend’s, going away party on Friday, December 22. He is moving to Tennessee for school. I will spend my day at his house, later that evening celebrating his moving away.

On the 23rd, I will be going to my Grandma Jenny’s house for our family Christmas gathering. We will have supper, open gifts, and hangout all evening.

When Christmas Eve rolls around, we usually go to my Grandma Cindy’s, but we have to change it up this year and either go to my house or to my aunt’s house. We have soups for supper and then that evening we will go to a Christmas Eve church service.

On Christmas morning, the time we have all been waiting for, my brother and I wake up and open gifts from our parents, then our Grandma Karen and Papa Ralph come over for Christmas breakfast and to give their gifts to us. We will then go to my Grandma Cindy and Grandpa Jim’s house for lunch and to open gifts from them. Christmas night we will go to our Grandma Toot’s with my dad’s side of the family. This is the biggest gathering we have. We just have little finger foods and snacks and play games with family.

Sometime after Christmas and before New Years, Brason will be moving to Tennessee; therefore I will most likely be going to Tennessee with him, his mom, and his grandma to help move.

Some of my friends and I will also be getting together to exchange gifts. We drew names at our Thanksgiving gathering and have kept it a secret who we got since.

I will celebrate New Year’s with some family friends. Once New Year’s is over, we have to face reality again and come back to school shortly after the New Year. After a good, refreshing break from school, hopefully second semester will be enjoyed by all.

Happy Holidays to you all and enjoy your break!