Blood Drive

Blood Drive

Mark your calendars for the upcoming blood drive at Palestine High School on November 29, 2023. This is an opportunity for you to make a difference and possibly save lives.

Did you know that you can make different types of donations at blood drives? While all of these may not be requested at this drive, it is good to know the options you may be asked for. You may be able to donate, whole blood, platelets, plasma, and double red cells. The Red Cross team will help identify which type of donation is best for you.

A whole blood donation is the most common type of donation. Blood from just one donation can be divided into two components red blood cells and plasma. Did you know that the average adult has about 10 pints of blood but during your donation you will donate one pint? When you donate whole blood, the process takes around ten to fifteen minutes. You can donate every 56 days.

Platelets are small, disc-shaped cells that aid in blood clotting. It takes 90 minutes to donate platelets. If you have A, A-negative, B, B-Negative, AB, or AB-negative blood types you are strongly encouraged to donate platelets. You can donate platelets every 7 days up to 24 times a year.

Plasma is the light-yellow liquid in your blood that makes up fifty percent of total blood volume. It contains protein that help control bleeding and fight infections. Plasma can be frozen for up to a year. Plasma donation takes up to 40 minutes and can be donated every 28 days.

Double Red Cells are the most commonly transfused blood component. You will be hooked up to machine that collects the red cells and returns most of the plasma and platelets to your body. Type O donors are most crucial to maintaining blood levels in the body. Double red cell donations take about 40 minutes, and you can donate once every 16 weeks.

Please come and help us save lives!