The Metamorphosis

The+Metamorphosis

The novella “The Metamorphosis” was written by German-speaking bohemian novelist Franz Kafka. It was first released in 1915, and the tale has come to be one of Kafka’s most well-known and commonly read pieces.

The protagonist, Gregor Samsa, wakes up one morning to find that he has changed into a gigantic bug in the novella’s opening scene. The story dives into Gregor’s mental and physical challenges as he tries to accept his new shape and how it impacts his relationships with his family.

Gregor, who provided his family’s only source of income, is currently unable to work or speak well. His family is at first horrified and disgusted by his change, and with time they grow bitter and cold. The story explores issues like isolation, loneliness, and the harmful impacts of modern day society. Gregor experiences growing isolation within his own family as his illness develops.

Many people read the story as a disapproval of the dehumanizing elements of modern life as well as a mirror of Kafka’s personal experiences of isolation and loneliness.Considered a classic of existentialist literature, “The Metamorphosis” has gone through many readings and reviews throughout time.

Here at PHS, students in English II are just starting to read this classic novel about the nature of identity, the state of humanity, and the influence of customs on the individual.