Evansville Hockey — Palestine’s new favorite sport!

Myla Messinger, Contributor

This year the Palestine High School and Palestine Grade School Student Senates decided to go on a trip together to watch the Thunderbolts hockey team play the Ice Bears in Evansville, Indiana.

The trip there was an hour and a half for the 24 grade schoolers, 16 high schoolers and 6 adults that travelled to Evansville Saturday, November 3. On the way there, everyone that went was hyper, but on the way back, no one spoke much because they were tired and exhausted.

Everyone ate at the concession stands at the hockey arena. Some ate pizza, some ate nachos, some had popcorn, and others had Dippin Dots.  

In the first quarter the Thunderbolts and the Ice Bears played very well.

In between the first and second period there was a Weiner dog race. The dogs raced in two rounds and the winners went into the final round.

In the second quarter, the Thunderbolts started scoring. Many people got aggressive and pushed others into walls and tripped other players. According to Jerika Coffman, her “two favorite things were the dogs and everyone getting slammed up against the wall.”

In between the second and third quarter there was another competition. Everyone in the stands received a puck with a number on it and had to throw it onto the ice. If the puck landed in the box or on the banners in the middle of the ice, you won a prize. There were seven winners all together.

In the last quarter the Ice Bears goalie had gotten tired and practically gave up, allowing the Thunderbolts to score more since the goalie wasn’t in front of the goal.

The final score was 5-0 with the Thunderbolts taking the win.

“Hockey is now my favorite sport!” said Myka Messinger.