Timothée Chalamet in “Wonka”

Timothée Chalamet as Willy Wonka in “Wonka.”

The return of Willy Wonka. A new movie starring Timothée Chalamet will be released in theaters in December, providing a prequel to the story of the chocolatier and tormentor of mischievous kids. Tuesday saw the release of the first teaser featuring Chalamet as the quirky Roald Dahl figure. The clip saw a youthful Wonka beginning on a mission to take over the chocolate industry and dismantle a confectionery cabal. In addition to Olivia Colman, Rowan Atkinson, Keegan-Michael Key, and newcomer Calah Lane, filmmaker Stephen King, who directed the acclaimed films “Paddington” and “Paddington 2,” has enlisted the support of well-known actors such as Sally Hawkins, Tom Davis, and Simon Farnaby. In a legendary casting choice, King reunites with Hugh Grant for the movie, with his character portraying a bitter flute-playing Oompa-Loompa.

According to King, the majority of the film was shot on studio soundstages, but some moments were captured on location in the UK, providing an insight into the mania that surrounds his star, Timothée Chalamet. “I got an insight into Timothée Chalamet’s life, which is people leaning out of windows and screaming, ‘Marry me!’” he recalled, chuckling. “It was quite strange … I don’t know what they thought was going to happen.” King’s gratitude towards Chalamet was clear: “It was a huge commitment for him because it was a very long shoot and there was a lot of singing and dancing.” “What’s so fabulous about him is you feel a lot of people his age would have been tempted to put on a superhero outfit and then sort of go and save the world,” he added. “And I managed to get him to put on a pair of heeled leather boots and do some tap dancing.”