Palestine Cookie Walk at the Fife

Palestine Cookie Walk at the Fife

The Fife Opera House’s annual holiday cookie walk is coming up on Saturday, November 18. Money earned will go to the upkeep of the Fife. The Palestine High School volunteer group, Pay It Forward, helped last year and are planning to help again this year. This event will be held on November 18th from 9-11am.

This “walk” is open to the public. It is called a walk because when you go inside, they give you an empty box and steer you toward a series of tables covered with hundreds of different kinds of holiday cookies. As you walk around the tables, you fill your box with whatever cookies you want. At the end, they weigh your box and you pay by the pound!

They have cookies of all flavors, sizes, and shapes, ranging from snicker doodle to chocolate chip. These cookies are promising to not disappoint for sure, and are the perfect way to start the holiday season.

The Fife Opera House is located at 123 South Main Street, here in Palestine. It sits on the corner of South Main and East Grand Prairie Street, right across East Grand Prairie from the Am vets.

A little backstory on the Fife: The Fife has two floors. The bottom floor used to be a hardware store and the top floor was the opera house itself. The Opera House was built by David Fife and the top floor operated from 1901-1912. It seated 700 people on red leather seats. It also had electric fans and was heated by a coal furnace. It hosted entertainments like local talent shows, stock theatrical companies, a lyceum series, band concerts, commencements, and special speakers.

Nowadays, the Fife is used for concerts and special shows and may be rented for weddings, and special events.