‘Tis the Season

‘Tis the season…for the flu!

It is estimated that as many as 11% of Americans will get sick from the flu each season. Children are most likely to get sick from the flu and in fact, Palestine Grade School has been affected already this year.

Flu symptoms can come on suddenly; you can be spreading the flu before you even know you have any symptoms.

Flu regularly ranks among the top 10 causes of death in the U.S., and for that reason, the CDC recommends that we all get the flu shot by the end of October. Some symptoms of the vaccine are soreness, redness, and/or swelling where the shot was given, headache (low grade), fever, nausea, muscle aches, and fatigue but the flu vaccine is estimated to have prevented 7.5 million influenza illnesses, 3.7 million influenza-related doctor visits, 105,000 influenza-related hospital visits, and 6,300 influenza-related deaths during the previous flu season prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.  Flu vaccination has also been proven to lower the chance of having to visit the doctor with the flu by 40% to 60% during seasons where the flu vaccine viruses are circulating.

Flu shots are available at the Walmart Pharmacy and at the Crawford County Health Department. Flu shots are free with most insurance plans.