Former # 61 Jay Waggs

We’re coming at you with another one of our senior football players! Jeremiah Wagner, or you might know him as Jay Waggs, is a senior here at PHS and has played in this beloved sport for around 6 years. 2022 was sadly his last year of two years playing for our OPH team, but he had a good two years here.

However, since he has 6 years of football, surely he has some advice on what makes a football player great. After asking him this question he told me this, “A good football player has to be aggressive, but be able to contain his emotions on the field. Someone with dedication and heart. They have to know that it’s a team, you have to work together and protect each other.” Quite the poetic response if I do say so myself.

In a team sport I know it gets hard to focus on the group as a whole and not just focus on yourself, especially whenever its something you’re extremely passionate about but others aren’t as much. Leading with that, one of Jay Waggs weaknesses as he puts it is “, having faith in my teammates and coaches. I had trouble believing they cared about the game.” Working more as a team and connecting with one another is important to being a cohesive team. For some of us, including me, it’s not as easy as it sounds. And if you know Jay, he is not only a former football player for OPH, but he enjoys coyote hunting, working on his truck, and hanging out with friends.

Good luck with your future endeavors, and good luck to our current and future OPH players!